Elections—Officially Taking Office
Q11 How do village officers take office after being elected?
Village officers elected by the voters must have their election certified by the county clerk and their term begins on November 20 (MCL 62.4). The oath is usually administered by the village clerk, but it may be given by the county or township clerk, a judge, or by a notary public.
A copy of their oath should be filed with the village clerk. If they are required to be bonded, they must arrange for that prior to taking office.
Handbook for General Law Village Officials P123
Published by the Michigan Municipal League 2006, updated 2015
NOTE: Following the November 6, 2018 election there is an unfilled vacancy for a Village Trustee position. Council will appoint to fill this seat until the 2020 election.
Candidates should submit a formal written request to the Clerk.
AGENDA – NOTE no finance documents were received.
Village of Bear Lake Council Meeting
November 14, 2018
7 p.m. – Village Office
CALL TO ORDER and PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
ROLL CALL ADOPTION of AGENDA
PUBLIC COMMENT: Any agenda item ONLY (two (2)-minute maximum)
Note: Members of the public will speak only when recognized by the chair person.
• October 17, 2018 Regular Meeting
VILLAGE MAINTENANCE REPORT:
• Acceptance of Treasurer’s Report
BILLS to be PAID:
REIMBURSEMENTS: see page 2
COMMITTEE CHAIR REPORTS:
PARK: Chair – Ronning
- • Park Manager Report – Jeff Bair
- • Kayak/Canoe Project – President Bair
- • Pickle Ball Court
- • Hopkins Park camping rates
STRRETS, TREES, SIGNS, LIGHTS, SIDEWALKS:
Chair – Ronning (this is not Street Scape Project)
- • Follow up on street signs – Clerk McPherson
- • Follow up from August – Jared will ask Ron Brown & Sons to rebid for the remaining part of the street being upgraded to a better quality of gravel.
WATER: Chair – Johnson
• Water Well Project update – President Bair
• Draw #7 Water Well Project Pay Request – motion needed
BUILDINGS, GROUNDS, AND EQUIPMENT: Chair – McPherson
- • DPW Building update
- • Loins Club building
- • Museum o roof update – McPherson/Ronning
- o lease – Johnson/Ware
- o Outside light – President Bair
- • Update on Revenue Sharing Board re-submit for a new sander & vibrator kit for the plow truck, approx. $15,032.00 – President Bair
Blight Chair – Bass
- • Blight Enforcement Officer report: Gibson
- • CABA : Chair – Rick Farfsing – no report
COUNTY COMMISSIONER REPORT: Pauline Jaquish
MANISTEE COUNTY TRAIL COMMITTEE REPORT: Council member McPherson
BEAR LAKE IMPROVEMENT BOARD REPORT: Council member McPherson
TWO LAKES SEWER REPORT: President Bair
PLANNING COMMISSION REPORT: Barb Farfsing no report, no meeting
- • Redevelopment Ready Community
- • Purchasing policy – King/Evans
- • Payment of mileage – Clerk McPherson
- • Bear Lake Improvement Board – contribution
- • New Marijauna Law
- • Payroll policy
- • 2019 – 2020 Budget year figures needed o equipment, tires, fire rings, picnic tables, flags, etc. Sidewalk, tree removal, etc.
PUBLIC COMMENT: General Time – Any Village-related item (two (2)-minute maximum) Note: Members of the public will speak only when recognized by the chair person.
Items on agenda or not listed
UPCOMING EVENTS and ANNOUCEMENTS:
• Community Dinner
• HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
• Sparkle in the Park
REIMBURSEMENTS to the EQUIPMENT FUND and WAGE TRANSFER TO GENERAL FUND: October 2018